Call 618-207-4187
Legal Experience. Human Wisdom.
View Our Practice Areas

Fathers can have their child support modified

Are you a divorced father? Do you take great pride in providing your child with the financial support he or she needs in order to live a good life?

If you pay child support every month, you realize that this is something that will have a positive impact on your child's life. Unfortunately, there could come a time when you are unable to make your child support payment. For example, you could lose your job. Or maybe you come down with a serious illness that makes it impossible to work.

If you find yourself in this position, it's important to learn how it will impact your child support obligation. In your mind, you may think it's okay to stop paying or pay less. However, the court does not look at the situation the same way.

There are several steps you must take if you need to modify your child support payment. Consider the following:

  • Don't waste any time. The last thing you want to do is wait around and hope that your situation gets better. As soon as you realize that you can't make your payments you need to take action.
  • Learn more about your rights. For example, find out what the court considers a substantial change in circumstances.
  • Connect with your ex-wife. Have a conversation about your situation and why you're unable to make full payments. You may find that she is more than willing to work something out.
  • Make payments the best you can. Even if you're unable to make payments in full, you should send as much money as possible. Remember, you're responsible for the entire amount until the court decides differently.
  • Keep track of your change in circumstances. For instance, if you've been injured or become ill, save all medical bills and doctor notes. This information can help you prove to the court that you are unable to work.

Once you do all these things, you need to file your request for a child support modification.

As a father, you don't want to find yourself unable to make child support payments. Unfortunately, things have a way of changing over time. If you are unable to stay current, don't hesitate to take the necessary steps to request a modification.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Support And Resolution Now

We are committed to educating our clients and providing realistic perspective and advance understanding of their case. We will guide you and inform you through every step of the process. We have an organized system in place to contact each client with answers to their questions in a timely manner. Call today to speak with us at 618-207-4187.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Wilson, Dabler & Associates, L.L.C.
14 South Second Street
Belleville, IL 62220

Toll Free: 888-449-9575
Phone: 618-207-4187
Phone: (618) 207-4187
Fax: (618) 235-1617
Belleville Law Office Map

Office Hours 8:30am-5pm Monday-Thursday
8:30am-4pm on Fridays
Closed for lunch from Noon-1pm
After Hours Appointments Available